Istanbul Naval Museum
Initial situation of the museumWith orders of the Naval Commander-in-Chief Bozcaadalı Hasan Hüsnü Pasha and the support of the Commander of the Imperial Naval Arsenal Admiral Arif Hikmet Pasha, the Naval Museum was founded in 1897 by Commander Süleyman NUTKİ in the Imperial Naval Arsenal (now Taşkızak Shipyard in Hasköy, İstanbul), as the Museum and Library Administration Office.
Ali Sami BOYARAt first the museum opened its doors mainly as a repository of unclassified objects. However, in 1914 the Minister of the Navy Cemal Pasha, as he had realized with all other aspects of the Navy, renovated both the museum and its administration when he appointed Lieutenant Ali Sami BOYAR Director. A maritime artist, BOYAR subsequently reorganized the museum collections scientifically, established a ship-model workshop for building models and half-models of Turkish ships, and a workshop to manufacture human figures for museum displays, all integral steps in the development of the museum to its present status.
At the beginning of World War II, the collections were moved to Anatolia for safekeeping. After the war, the museum collections were returned to İstanbul in 1946, this time to a more suitable building complex of the Dolmabahçe Mosque. Following two years of preparation by the Museum Director Haluk ŞEHSUVAROĞLU, the new museum was opened to the public on 27 September 1948.
Complex of the Dolmabahçe Mosque with the widening of Dolmabahçe Avenue, it was necessary to relocate the museum once again. It was moved a short distance in 1961 to its current location in Beşiktaş, next to the tomb and monument of Barbaros Hayrettin Pasha (Barbarossa).
Hayrettin İskelesi Sok.80690 Beşiktaş/İstanbul – Türkiye
Phone +90 212 327 43 45
Fax +90 212 236 68 93
Photograph © Turkish Naval Museum Istanbul. http://www.dzkk.tsk.mil.tr/muze/English/Ana_Sayfa.htm
“Armorial from the Reign of Sultan Abdülhamit (1876-1909)”
Armorial bearing the “El Ghazi” monogram of Sultan Abdülhamit carved in relief on a raised, red-brown oval surface. The monogram is encircled by a gilt carved-rope design tied into a bow knot at the top.Dimensions : 92×83 cm