Journal of Ottoman Calligraphy

Lectures & Editorials on Calligraphy

Archive for March 26th, 2007

Ahmed Karahisari (1468 Afyonkarahisar – 1556, İstanbul)

leave a comment »

Photograph © HAT SAN’ATI Tarihçe, Malzeme ve Örnekler, Istanbul. http://ismek.ibb.gov.tr/portal/yayinlarimiz.asp

Written by calligrapher

March 26, 2007 at 10:02 pm

Sheikh Hamdullah Efendi (1436 – 1520)

with one comment

Photograph © HAT SAN’ATI Tarihçe, Malzeme ve Örnekler, Istanbul. http://ismek.ibb.gov.tr/portal/yayinlarimiz.asp

Written by calligrapher

March 26, 2007 at 9:47 pm

Hattat Ibrahim Arif (? – 1767)

leave a comment »

Photograph © Gallery of Portakal Sanat ve Kültür Evi, Istanbul

Written by calligrapher

March 26, 2007 at 9:25 pm

Hattat Mehmed Sefik (1819-1879)

leave a comment »

ZERENDUD TEKKE LEVHA. Ketebeli. Sultan II. Mahmud’un kizi Adile Sultan’a özel yazilmis. Kahverengi zemin üzerine celî sülüs hatla göbek kisminda “Allah, Muhammed, Ebubekir, Ömer, Osman, Ali Hasan Hüseyin Fatma” etrafinda 12 imamin ve tarikat büyüklerinin isimleri yazili. Alt kisminda ise “Tariki Naksibendiye ricalinden Mehmed Can Hazretleri’nin hulefasindan katbol arifin merhum Seyh Ali Efendi’nin müridesi Adile binti Sultan Mahmud” yazili. 60 x 57 cm.

Photograph © Gallery of Portakal Sanat ve Kültür Evi, Istanbul

Written by calligrapher

March 26, 2007 at 9:18 pm

Hattat Hafiz Osman Efendi (1642-1698)

leave a comment »

Calligraphic Writing in Sulus and Nesih scripts

Photograph © HAT SAN’ATI Tarihçe, Malzeme ve Örnekler, Istanbul. http://ismek.ibb.gov.tr/portal/yayinlarimiz.asp

Written by calligrapher

March 26, 2007 at 8:47 pm

Istanbul Naval Museum

leave a comment »

The Istanbul Naval Museum is the most comprehensive museum of its kind in Turkey. With its extraordinarily rich and varied collection, numbering some 20,000 pieces, it is among the major museums of the world. The Naval Museum operates under the Commander of the Navy and was the first military museum founded in Turkey.

Initial situation of the museumWith orders of the Naval Commander-in-Chief Bozcaadalı Hasan Hüsnü Pasha and the support of the Commander of the Imperial Naval Arsenal Admiral Arif Hikmet Pasha, the Naval Museum was founded in 1897 by Commander Süleyman NUTKİ in the Imperial Naval Arsenal (now Taşkızak Shipyard in Hasköy, İstanbul), as the Museum and Library Administration Office.

Ali Sami BOYARAt first the museum opened its doors mainly as a repository of unclassified objects. However, in 1914 the Minister of the Navy Cemal Pasha, as he had realized with all other aspects of the Navy, renovated both the museum and its administration when he appointed Lieutenant Ali Sami BOYAR Director. A maritime artist, BOYAR subsequently reorganized the museum collections scientifically, established a ship-model workshop for building models and half-models of Turkish ships, and a workshop to manufacture human figures for museum displays, all integral steps in the development of the museum to its present status.

At the beginning of World War II, the collections were moved to Anatolia for safekeeping. After the war, the museum collections were returned to İstanbul in 1946, this time to a more suitable building complex of the Dolmabahçe Mosque. Following two years of preparation by the Museum Director Haluk ŞEHSUVAROĞLU, the new museum was opened to the public on 27 September 1948.

Complex of the Dolmabahçe Mosque with the widening of Dolmabahçe Avenue, it was necessary to relocate the museum once again. It was moved a short distance in 1961 to its current location in Beşiktaş, next to the tomb and monument of Barbaros Hayrettin Pasha (Barbarossa).

Address
Hayrettin İskelesi Sok.80690 Beşiktaş/İstanbul – Türkiye
Phone +90 212 327 43 45
Fax +90 212 236 68 93
E-mail
NavalMuseumTurk@Superonline.com

Photograph © Turkish Naval Museum Istanbul. http://www.dzkk.tsk.mil.tr/muze/English/Ana_Sayfa.htm

“Armorial from the Reign of Sultan Abdülhamit (1876-1909)”
Armorial bearing the “El Ghazi” monogram of Sultan Abdülhamit carved in relief on a raised, red-brown oval surface. The monogram is encircled by a gilt carved-rope design tied into a bow knot at the top.Dimensions : 92×83 cm

“Chart of the Persian Gulf to Baghdad”Printed in color by the Naval Academy in 1865. Drawn by the schoolmaster Ali Bey of the War Academy, the chart includes the monogram of Sultan Abdülaziz (1861-1876) and is made to an Ottoman scale. Dimensions: 55 x 134 cm.

Written by calligrapher

March 26, 2007 at 3:57 pm

Posted in Istanbul MUSEUMS

Military and Maritime Museum in Istanbul

leave a comment »

This is one of the leading museums of its kind in the world. The military museum and culture center was reopened at its present building in 1993 with a very successful and contemporary exhibition concept. The former military academy, where Mustafa Kemal Ataturk was also a student, was renovated and various additions were made. Today in 22 rooms about nine thousand pieces are exhibited, out of a total collection of fifty thousand objects.

On the ground floor, the display of bows and arrows in the first room is followed by sections containing the weapons and other regalia of the cavalry, daggers and lancets, and sections devoted to Selim I, Mehmet the Conqueror, the conquest of Istanbul, weaponry from the early Islamic, Iranian, Caucasian, European . and Turkish periods. This floor also houses a unique collection of helmets and armor, as well as the sections allocated to firearms and tents. On the upper floor there are rooms where objects from World War I, the Battle of Gallipoli, and the War of Independence, and uniforms from more recent times are displayed. There is also an Ataturk room. The Janissary Band gives concerts in the museum.

Adres: Askeri Müze ve Kültür Sitesi Komutanlığı Harbiye- Şişli / İSTANBUL
Tel : 0 212 2332720

Fax: 0 212 2968618
http://www.tsk.mil.tr/askerimuze/askeri_muze.htm

Photograph © Dick Osseman. http://www.pbase.com/dosseman

Written by calligrapher

March 26, 2007 at 1:46 pm

Posted in Istanbul MUSEUMS